4.15.2008

Updating? Well I'm not desperate but I'm thinking about trying it out soon

Just got back to ElRachidia this evening, after a long taxi ride from the desert where we were surrounded by screaming babies and our driver stopped to put a refrigerator on top of the roof of the car. This country works like this: As soon as you think that things couldn't be more surreal, everything is flipped on its head and gets weirder. I'm two days off the meds and I feel like a million bucks by comparison. I think the storm in my belly is over.
Merzouga was like being on a different planet. Super isolated and the dunes were more spectacular than I could have dreamed. Can't upload any photos yet, computers are a bit fossily. We were able to ride camels for three days, which was super amazing. My cowboy parts (inner legs and butt) aren't hurting as much as I thought they were going to, but morning of day three was kinda like torture. Now I realize why no Moroccans actually ride camels, because they aren't meant to be ridden. They sound like monster creatures and I couldn't help but make Star Wars jokes every five minutes ("Look sir, droids!" "And I thought they smelled bad...on the outside") Jeff just sighed and smacked his head. It was such a great choice to bring Cha-Cha (my Ukulele) out there, the berbers loved it and smiled with confusion when I played "I wanna be loved by you" and my other standards. Totally great experience.

Tomorrow we hop a bus to a little town called Arzou that was suggested to us by a couple from Scotland. There's apparently trout fishing, snow swept mountain monkeys, a giant cedar forest and whiskey.

Well geographers, I hope this find you all in elated spirits. More is always to come.

No comments: